Write a letter to the Governor and ask him to sign AB 1276.
We have several sample letters you can use, making the process fast and easy. Download and choose the right one for you. If you can, add in your address and full name, and sign your letter. Or, better: write your own! Sample letters to the Governor in Support of AB 1276
AB 1276 is an important bill that recognizes both the vulnerability and potential of young adults entering California state prisons. If passed into law, AB 1276 would ensure that people under the age of 22 at the time they enter prison are less likely to be placed on the most dangerous prison yards and more likely to have access to self-help programs and services. We believe this will result in more youth in prison being able to choose a path of self-improvement in prison. Read the bill here. Read a factsheet about the bill here. Get more information and testimony about what this law would mean to young adults.
Send an email or call Governor Brown and tell him you support AB 1276.
Letters have the biggest impact…but if you want to send an email, use this link: Email Governor Brown.
You can also call Governor Brown’s office and let him know that you support AB 1276. It’s easy! You can say something as simple as: “Hello, I am calling because I support AB 1276 and urge the Governor to sign this important bill into law.” The Governor’s phone number is: (916) 445-2841.
Help Change California!
- Be informed! Keep checking back here for updates and news. Sign up for updates right here (upper right, blue box.)
- Be active! We are working on making sure the Youth Offender Parole process under SB 260 is going right. We will participate in the regulation-making process for SB 260, and invite you to help with this, too. Watch for alerts on ways you can be involved.
- Be educated! Join us every first and third Tuesday of the month for a telephone call meeting for family members and friends of youth sentenced to adult prison terms. It’s an hour of sharing and learning, and everyone is welcome to attend! Just call in at 8pm to: (805) 399-1000, and use the code: 817682#
- Be supported! Join CARES, a group of family and friends of youth. Learn more about CARES or go to www.caresforyouth.org
- Be cool! Sign up for tweets and get occasional text messages on these important issues. You don’t need a “smart phone.” Just send a text message to the number 40404, and the text: follow fairsentencing It’s free, although your regular text charges will apply.